If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (803) 581-1570

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Take Action Against Potential Home Fires | SERVPRO® of Indian Land, Cherokee, Union, and Chester Counties

5/19/2023 (Permalink)

 img src =”fire” alt = " stainless steel pan on a gas stove engulfed in flames” > House fires are devastating. Call SERVPRO of Indian Land, Cherokee, Union, and Chester Counties to help so you can focus on what matters most.

No one wants to think about suffering from a house fire. It is perhaps one of the most stressful experiences to endure as a homeowner.

Thankfully, most house fires are preventable as long as you are attentive to your home and do your best to keep it clean and well-maintained. We explain a few locations around your home that can easily be the source of a house fire below, so read on to learn more.

Be Responsible in Your Kitchen

The majority of home fires start in the kitchen due to accidents or negligence. Unwanted fires can start anywhere there is a heat source or open flame, so it is important that you remain present in the kitchen whenever you are cooking.

Walking away for even a minute can be all the time a rogue spark or flame needs to catch a wooden spoon or towel on fire. After two minutes, your entire kitchen could be engulfed in flame and smoke. Try to keep anything combustible far away from your cooking and avoid wearing loose clothing in the kitchen.

Don’t Add Fuel to the Fire

Anything flammable in your home has the ability to add fuel to a house fire. While you can’t make your entire home fire-resistant, there are things you can do to reduce your risk.

Ensure your garage doesn’t have any leaky gas or chemical cans seeping onto your concrete, and check all gas lines leading to and from your home, outdoor equipment and propane tanks.

You should also get into the habit of cleaning your air vents regularly. A clogged HVAC air duct or lint trap in your dryer can cause an equipment malfunction and spark a fire. Lint and dust buildup are incredibly flammable, so clean these areas regularly to remove this massive fire hazard.

Prepare Your Home

Even with the best intentions, house fires can start unexpectedly and can quickly get out of control. The best way to stay safe is to be alerted as soon as the problem is occurring so you can quickly take action.

You should be testing your smoke detectors regularly and replacing batteries as needed. After 10 years of use, you should be replacing your detectors completely. The majority of home fire deaths occur in homes or businesses without working fire alarms.

You should also take the time to create a fire escape plan with your family. Every member of your household should know how to get out of each room in your home and head outside quickly and efficiently. Try to go over this seasonally and ensure your children understand.

All of this works together to make sure your family stays safe in a fire emergency. After all, your health and safety is the most important thing! When the fire is out, call SERVPRO of Indian Land, Cherokee, Union, and Chester Counties. Our fire damage restoration team has the knowledge and resources you need for a full recovery.

If you suffer from a house fire, we are here for you. Contact us right away at SERVPRO of Indian Land, Cherokee, Union, and Chester Counties.

Other News

View Recent Posts